- Read more about Signs Preceding the End of the World, The Transmigration of Bodies, Kingdom Cons and Yuri Herrera’s first non-fiction book, A Silent Fury: The El Bordo Mine Fire.
- Patti Smith loves Yuri Herrera‘s Signs Preceding the End of the World and Kingdom Cons
- Signs Preceding the End of the World was chosen by The Guardian on the 21st September 2019 as one of ‘The 100 Best Books of the 21st Century’.
- Listen to the Waterstones podcast ‘How We Made’ on Signs Preceding the End of the World, featuring Herrera, Dillman, publisher Stefan Tobler and critic Maya Jaggi.
- Fernanda Melchor and Yuri Herrera in conversation, recorded in lieu of the cancelled event at PEN World Voices festival. The two writers talk about their latest books and the power of literature (fiction and non-fiction) to open doors to richer, more complicated understandings of culture.
- Yuri Herrera writes about the very real problem of corruption in the Government of Mexico for PEN Atlas.
- You can also read The Skinny‘s interview with Yuri Herrera.
- Hear Yuri Herrera discussing his first book in English with Green Apple Books here and talking to Richard Lea on Guardian Podcast about borderlands and border crossing (from 15m 40s in).
- Josh Begley’s short film “Best of Luck with the Wall,” was inspired by Yuri Herrera’s Signs Preceding the End of the World.
- You can watch Yuri Herrera and Lisa Dillman discussing Three Novels with Betina González here.
‘Language itself seems to be invested with a strange demiurgic force. Herrera’s style – both precise and elusive, specific and elliptical – is uncannily well suited to depict the in-between state his characters inhabit.’
Kirkus starred review
‘The [three novels are] even more powerful read together. A welcome gathering of centrifugal works by one of Mexico’s most accomplished contemporary writers.’
Praise for Yuri Herrera
‘Yuri Herrera is Mexico’s greatest novelist. His spare, poetic narratives and incomparable prose read like epics compacted into a single perfect punch—they ring your bell, your being, your soul.’ Francisco Goldman ‘Yuri Herrera must be a thousand years old. He must have travelled to hell, and heaven, and back again. He must have once been a girl, an animal, a rock, a boy, and a woman. He must have been many different men. Nothing else explains the vastness of his understanding and the brutal clarity with which he illuminates the human soul for us. Nothing else can account for his ability to strip conventional language of its tedium and offer us back our own world, which we discover, with him, as if for the first time.’ Valeria Luiselli ‘My favorite of the new Mexican writers.’ John Powers, NPR Fresh Air ‘Playful, prophetic, unnerving books that deserve to be read several times.’ Eileen Battersby, Irish Times ‘Herrera’s metaphors grasp the freedom, and the alarming disorientation, of transition and translation.’ Maya Jaggi, The Guardian 'His writing style is like nobody else’s, a unique turn of language, a kind of poetic slang . . . seeming to fall in my hands from an alternative sky.' Patti Smith
Books by Yuri Herrera
Kingdom ConsYuri Herrera£5.00 – £8.99
A Silent Fury: The El Bordo Mine FireYuri Herrera£6.99 – £8.99
Ten PlanetsYuri Herrera£9.99 – £11.99
The Transmigration of BodiesYuri Herrera£5.00 – £8.99
Yuri Herrera Book BundleYuri Herrera£17.00
Signs Preceding the End of the WorldYuri Herrera£5.00 – £8.99