It’s the 1980s in Lagos de Moreno – a town where there are more cows than people, and more priests than cows – and a poor family is struggling to get by. The father, a school teacher, insists on practising and teaching the art of the insult, while the mother prepares hundreds of quesadillas to serve to their numerous progeny: Aristotle, Orestes, Archilochus, Callimachus, Electra, Castor and Pollux. The family witnesses a revolt against the Institutional Revolutionary Party and its umpteenth electoral fraud. This political upheaval is only the beginning of Orestes’ adventures and his uproarious crusade against the boredom of rustic life and the tyranny of his older brother.
In Quesadillas Juan Pablo Villalobos serves up a wild banquet. Chock-full of inseminated cows, Polish immigrants, parading pilgrims, alien spacecraft and psychedelic watermelons, almost anything goes in this madcap Mexican satire of politics and class.Read an Excerpt
This book is also available as a first editionView first edition
- With an introduction by Neel Mukherjee.
- Read more about Juan Pablo Villalobos on our authors’ page.
- Villalobos’ first novel Down the Rabbit Hole was shortlisted for the 2011 Guardian First Book Award and the 2012 Oxford-Weidenfeld Translation Prize.
- Readers of Spanish may be interested to read more reviews and other thoughts posted on Villalobos’ website.
- If you had subscribed to And Other Stories before before Quesadillas went to the printers, you would have received one of the first copies of the book – in which all subscribers are thanked by name – before its official publication, as well as up to five other And Other Stories titles per year. Find out about subscribing to upcoming titles here.
Books by Juan Pablo Villalobos
Down the Rabbit Hole (first edition)Juan Pablo Villalobos£5.00
Down the Rabbit HoleJuan Pablo Villalobos£10.00
Down the Rabbit HoleJuan Pablo Villalobos£5.00 – £6.99
Quesadillas (first edition)Juan Pablo Villalobos£5.00 – £10.00
I Don’t Expect Anyone to Believe MeJuan Pablo Villalobos£6.99 – £11.99
I’ll Sell You a DogJuan Pablo Villalobos£5.00 – £10.00
Invasion of the Spirit PeopleJuan Pablo Villalobos£9.99 – £11.99