- Find out more about Wolfgang Bauer in our authors’ section.
- Read a fascinating Newsweek profile about Wolfgang Bauer and his journey with Syrian refugees.
- Read an interview in The Skinny with Wolfgang Bauer and fellow German journalist Jürgen Todenhöfer.
- Bauer won the 2016 Liberty Award for his work on Crossing the Sea. You can watch a short Liberty Award video about the book here.
- Harper’s featured an extract from Crossing the Sea. You can read it here.
- Take a look at the author’s website here and the photographer’s website here.
- Crossing the Sea is a bestseller in Germany, with over 25,000 copies sold around the world. And Other Stories are delighted to be able to bring Wolfgang Bauer and Stanislav Krupař’s groundbreaking work to the English language.
‘It’s not just the detail in this book that counts. It’s the anger.’
Melissa Fleming, Spokesperson and Head of Communications, UNHCR
‘An excellent book.’
Times Literary Supplement
‘Bauer’s book . . . exemplifies the best qualities of immersive journalism . . . his brave investigation tells us an important truth about the refugee experience.’
The New Statesman
‘Bauer excellently re-creates the predatory, tense world of these shadowy men . . . the people-smugglers.’
‘What Crossing the Sea does best is give a face to the dehumanised ‘refugee crisis’ that we read about in everyday news headlines . . . [W]hen there is a human face behind the news story, it is impossible to turn your attention away from it.’
‘Wolfgang Bauer is a sophisticated and conscientious reporter, an expert on the Arab Spring and its aftermath, and a brilliant writer.’