NOW CLOSED, AND CONSIDERING APPLICATIONS (21st NOV 2021). IF WE START LOOKING AGAIN, WE WILL LET YOU KNOW IN OUR MONTHLY NEWSLETTER. (OTHER JOBS, INC. NON-LONDON-BASED ONES, ARE ALSO POSTED IN THE NEWSLETTER.)
Job Title: Publicist
Salary: £22,000 – £30,000 per annum, depending on experience
Location: London (working from home, we don’t have a physical London office)
And Other Stories seeks a spreadsheets-friendly communications firecracker to become our UK publicist. Our ideal candidate will be a long-term lover of experimental and extraordinary writing in a variety of forms, and passionate about our books (though prior experience is of course welcome too). Wide-ranging readers of fiction, poetry and narrative non-fiction are particularly welcome.
The publicist will run our UK press publicity campaigns for our ca. 15 titles per year. We are a small team and there is ample opportunity for the publicist to become involved in other areas depending on interest (eg acquisitions meetings, advisory board meetings), however this is not a requirement of the job.
Requirements: Someone who can speak with passion, intelligence and sensitivity about books, especially ours; who knows how to pin down what makes a book extraordinary; who is good at working from home; someone thorough and methodical and who is looking to be part of our team and stay with And Other Stories as we develop.
An applicant will also:
- Communicate appropriately and with verve, both verbally and in writing.
- Be pragmatic; self-motivated; have a ‘can do’ approach; be able to find solutions.
- Meet deadlines and be a self-organizer.
- Work well in a team and on own initiative.
- Maintain accuracy and attention to detail.
- Have a strong track record in using social media and digital platforms as a marketing and public relations tool and in finding new strategies for publicity beyond traditional media
- Be ecologically aware and willing to be creative in order to be more ecological. (We are committed to becoming a carbon-neutral company and to finding creative alternatives to flying for author and staff travel. More on our Sustainability goals here: https://www.andotherstories.org/about-us/?tab=5.)
- Be strongly committed to anti-racism, inclusivity and diversity. (More on our Inclusivity goals here: https://www.andotherstories.org/about-us/?tab=6.)
Experience within the sector (former publicity positions and/or internships) is appreciated but not necessary, and we offer training. Nichola Smalley started with us in 2015 as a trainee and is now our UK Publicity Director, as well as a literary translator.
Responsibilities of the Role
- Contributing to And Other Stories’ marketing of front list titles, so that our publicity, events, advertising and social media all work together
- Strategising, planning, taking ownership of, and executing publicity campaigns that will maximise exposure for authors and their books. (The mailing out of press copies is largely done from the Sheffield office, but the odd, urgent copy will need to be posted by the publicist in London too.)
- Securing national and regional print, radio and online feature coverage for our authors, both in the ‘books’ slots and beyond.
- Developing and booking multi-venue book tours (a mix of in-person and virtual events).
- Developing and maintaining strong, trusting relationships with authors and the media, and developing and maintaining And Other Stories’ strong contacts databases.
- Drafting compelling press materials and targeted pitches to introduce books to a large and diversified audience.
- Working with the books’ editors to find best use in the media for serialisation of advance extracts, shorter pieces, introductions etc.
- Reporting on media coverage to the team, to our UK sales force and to authors, agents and translators, as well as archiving press clippings.
- Attending author events, and taking media and bookseller meetings, and attending the 6-monthly sales conferences, though the latter are currently virtual.
- Contributing to the content on our social media, in monthly newsletter and on our website and its News/ Ampersand blog pages.
- Building relationships for And Other Stories with individuals and organisations in general, in order to grow our presence as part of the publishing landscape.
About Our Company
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are actively seeking job applicants who reflect a broad representation of differences, including race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, neurodiversity, age, family status, economic background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective.
Instructions: We will keep this post open until we find the right candidate but to be sure to be considered, please send as three attachments the following:
- Your CV
- A covering letter detailing your fit for the post and your interest in And Other Stories,
- and – if you have previous relevant experience – an example of publicity/comms materials you have written by 21st November 2021 to publisher Stefan Tobler at email@example.com with ‘Publicist Application‘ in the subject line.