And Other Stories, an independent, nonprofit publisher of international literature, seeks a part-time (0.6 or similar, we’re somewhat flexible) publicity and trade marketing director.
The candidate will run our U.S. press publicity campaigns and head up our outreach and marketing to booksellers in the U.S. for 8-12 titles per year. In other words, a very select list, allowing real attention to each title. The director will not be responsible for direct-to-consumer marketing, but involvement in that area will be welcome.
Candidates must be good with a range of publishing people from booksellers to books editors, and not work for any other publisher. (Related literary work is fine, but we want someone who will be clearly seen as a face of And Other Stories.)
We want someone who reads widely and can speak with passion and pleasure about our books, and who is looking to stay with And Other Stories as we develop. And Other Stories has excellent experience co-ordinating remote work, as our staff live in various locations, including New York and (in the UK) Sheffield, Hull and London.
We are a small, collaborative team and there is ample opportunity for the director to become involved in other areas depending on interest (eg having a say in production and acquisitions), however this is not a requirement of the job.
Applicants should have:
- At least 5 years of experience in marketing and publicity.
- Communicates appropriately and with verve, both verbally and in writing.
- Pragmatic. Self-motivated. Has a ‘can do’ approach. Able to find solutions.
- Existing relationships with national and regional media contacts.
- Experience presenting in front of large groups.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines and strong organizational skills. Thorough.
- Works well in a team and on own initiative.
- The ability to multi-task, prioritize and manage time effectively while also maintaining accuracy and attention to detail are essential.
- Strong track record in using social media and digital platforms as a marketing and public relations tool and in finding new strategies for publicity beyond traditional media
- Ecological awareness and willingness to be creative in order to be more ecological. (We are committed to becoming a carbon-neutral company and to finding creative alternatives to flying for author and staff travel. More on our Sustainability goals here: https://www.andotherstories.org/about-us/?tab=5.)
- A strong commitment to inclusivity and diversity. (More on our Inclusivity goals here: https://www.andotherstories.org/about-us/?tab=6.)
- Part-time, spread over three to five weekdays, flexible working hours, which must include some overlap with UK staff for a couple of meetings each week.
- Holiday entitlement matches our UK staff entitlement (a minimum of 28 days pro rata, including public holidays), with extra days available for climate-friendly lifestyle choices.
- Remote working
– Strategizing, planning and executing publicity and marketing campaigns that will maximize exposure for authors and their books. (Galleys are mailed from a mailout service to press and booksellers, and finished copies from the Ingram warehouse in Tennessee. Consortium also send out a galley box to 100 stores.)
– Securing national and regional print, radio and online feature coverage for our authors.
– Bookseller outreach and relationship building, and enthusing them about our books, as well as continuing our work to solicit advance bookseller endorsements, which we publish on our website and often in our finished books.
– Planning and booking multi-venue book tours (particularly virtual ones), with bookstores, libraries, schools, and other large speaking venues.
– Developing and maintaining strong, trusting relationships with authors, booksellers and the media, and developing and maintaining strong contacts databases.
– Drafting compelling press materials and targeted pitches to introduce books to a large and diversified audience.
– Working with the team to find best use in the media for serialisation of advance extracts, shorter pieces, introductions etc.
– Reporting on media coverage to the team and to our Consortium sales force.
– Traveling for (some) author events, and media and bookseller meetings, and to the 6-monthly sales conferences, though these are currently virtual.
– Contributing to the content on our social media, in monthly newsletter and on our website and its News/blog pages.
– Building relationships for And Other Stories with individuals and organizations in general, in order to grow our presence as part of the U.S. publishing landscape.
About Our Company
And Other Stories is an award-winning publisher of literary writing. We have been publishing for nine years in Europe and for seven years in North America. We published Deborah Levy’s 2012 Man Booker Prize-shortlisted Swimming Home (bought by Bloomsbury USA) and are the worldwide English-language publishers of world-class contemporary books including the first four books by Yuri Herrera, whose Signs Preceding the End of the World has sold over 50,000 in the USA. Our titles are represented and distributed in North America by Consortium (CBSD, Minneapolis) and Consortium’s work is supported by our full publicity and marketing campaigns in the US.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are actively seeking job applicants who reflect a broad representation of differences, including race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, neurodiversity, age, family status, economic background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective.
Send your resumé and a covering letter detailing your fit for the post and your interest in And Other Stories to publisher Stefan Tobler at firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Publicity & Marketing Post’ in the subject line.