Gathered for the first time in English and spanning his entire career, Vampire in Love offers a selection of the Spanish master Enrique Vila-Matas’s finest short stories. An effeminate, hunchbacked barber on the verge of death falls in love with a choir boy. A fledgling writer on barbiturates visits Marguerite Duras’ Paris apartment and watches his dinner companion slip into the abyss. An unsuspecting man receives a mysterious phone call from a lonely ophthalmologist and visits his abandoned villa. The stories in Vampire in Love, selected and brilliantly translated by Margaret Jull Costa, are all told with Vila-Matas’s delightful erudition and wit, and his provocative questioning of the interrelation of art and life.
Praise for Vampire in Love and Enrique Vila-Matas
- ‘Vila-Matas’s work made a tremendous impression on me. I was fascinated by his humour, the incredible knowledge he has of all kinds of literature, his compassion for writers, and his fearlessness in taking on literary subjects and making that part of what he is writing about.’ Paul Auster
- ‘A writer who has no equal in the contemporary landscape of the Spanish novel.’ Roberto Bolaño
- ‘Arguably Spain’s most significant contemporary literary figure.’ Joanna Kavenna, New Yorker
- ‘Tales of surrealist noir in which virtually anything can happen except happiness.’ New Yorker
- ‘This collection of short stories is bizarre, and that’s entirely the point.’ The Skinny
- ‘Playful, highly accessible, and beautifully translated, the stories in Vampire in Love showcase a master writer who is happy to indulge the imagination and explore the possibilities of existence.’ Mark Brazos, The Rumpus
- ‘Highly original, both lucid and ludic.’ The Guardian
- ‘Vila-Matas has found his own solution to the supposed exhaustion of possibilities in literature: a devotion to digression and lightness.’ Lidija Haas, The Telegraph
- ‘He absorbs the reader into a singular territory in which life and literature are a shared enterprise.’ Valerie Miles, New York Times
- Read more about Vila-Matas on our author page.
- Watch a video of Enrique Vila-Matas in conversation with author Paul Auster here.
- Read an interview with Enrique Vila-Matas in Big Issue North here.