Born in Actopan, Mexico, in 1970, Yuri Herrera studied Politics in Mexico, Creative Writing in El Paso and took his PhD in literature at Berkeley. His first novel to appear in English, Signs Preceding the End of the World, was published to great critical acclaim in 2015 and included in many Best-of-Year lists, including The Guardian‘s Best Fiction and NBC News’s Ten Great Latino Books, going on to win the 2016 Best Translated Book Award. He is currently teaching at the University of Tulane, in New Orleans.
Praise for author
- ‘Yuri Herrera is Mexico’s greatest novelist. His spare, poetic narratives and incomparable prose read like epics compacted into a single perfect punch – they ring your bell, your being, your soul.’ Francisco Goldman, author of Say Her Name
- ‘Yuri Herrera is one of Mexico’s proudest literary exports.’ Jane Graham, Big Issue
- ‘Herrera has been slowly building an oeuvre constructed on a singular conception of the world, in which literature’s past and present form a continuum. Reading him gives one the sense of diving into his library, a place that is unashamed of belonging to a tradition and being well-read and much-underlined.’ Álvaro Enrigue, author of Sudden Death
- ‘Yuri Herrera must be a thousand years old. He must have travelled to hell, and heaven, and back again. He must have once been a girl, an animal, a rock, a boy, and a woman. Nothing else explains the vastness of his understanding.’ Valeria Luiselli, author of The Story of My Teeth
- ‘It’s fair to say that Yuri Herrera follows in the footsteps of compatriot Juan Rulfo, perhaps the master par excellence of creating limbos, spectral spaces in which the characters—real Schrödinger’s cats—reside halfway between the living and the dead.’ Javier Moreno, Quimera
- ‘Herrera gives us what all great literature should – poetic empathy for dire situations in a life more complex and dynamic than we imagined. And Other Stories gives us what all publishers should – access to this world. I always want more.’ Lance Edmonds, Posman Books (Chelsea Market branch), New York, NY
- Read more about Yuri Herrera’s ‘masterpiece’ Signs Preceding the End of the World, his ‘magnificent’ The Transmigration of Bodies, and his ‘excellent’ debut Kingdom Cons (to be published by And Other Stories in June 2017) in the book section.
- Hear Herrera discussing his first ever book in English with Green Apple Books here and talking to Richard Lea on Guardian Podcast about borderlands and border crossing (from 15m 40s in).
- Yuri Herrera writes about the very real problem of corruption in the Government of Mexico for PEN Atlas
- You can also read The Skinny’s interview with Yuri Herrera here.