And Other Stories has a one-off full-time trainee opportunity!
Marketing & Publicity Trainee
Location of role: High Wycombe & London
Start Date: Ca. mid-April 2015
Bursary: £ 16,575 bursary over 12 months (tax-free trainee bursary, pegged to the living wage rate – at a value between the London and the non-London rate)
Description: And Other Stories is an award-winning publisher of literary writing based in High Wycombe, England. Our list is very international – more than half the books are translations and none of our UK authors are insular.
The candidate will learn how to market print and ebooks and subscriptions to the company’s books to readers and booksellers, and learn how to prepare engaging and relevant copy and sales materials for the company’s sales reps and newsletters. The trainee will take over day-to-day responsibility for our subscriptions marketing and administration too. The trainee will also be given the opportunity to organise events and manage author visits and travel arrangements. October 2015 will be our fifth birthday (five years since our first subscriber), and we aim to celebrate it.
Key activities (with rough break-down of time allocation):
- Media and press publicity (ca 2 days / week);
- Marketing to readers (ca 1 day / week incl. helping with Ampersand blog, website updates, social media, newsletter and other copy drafting);
- Marketing to the book trade (ca 1 day / week, incl direct marketing to booksellers incl newsletters, metadata / media updates and more)
- Subscriptions management, improvement and admin (ca 1 day / week)
Key skills to be learned / improved:
- How to plan, carry out and follow up on a publicity campaign incl: writing and sending out press releases; placing extracts from our books in the media; monitoring and reporting on media coverage.
- How to maintain and improve contacts with media people, incl a contacts database
- How to engage effectively on social media incl commissioning and writing pieces for our tumblr blog Ampersand
- How to organise events and manage author visits & travel
- How to market our subscriptions & exceed our subscribers’ expectations of our subscriptions
- How to market our books direct to readers, both print books and ebooks
- How to prepare good copy, sales points and sales materials for our sales reps, and to understand and prepare metadata
- Office management and administration skills
Desired knowledge, skills & experience:
- A passion for literary writing and an ability to communicate with verve in person and in writing about fiction, poetry and literary non-fiction
- Passion and curiosity, incl for film, art, music and the world at large
- Experience in publishing (including bookselling)
- Ability to work well independently and with others
- Self-motivated. Organised. Manages own time well. A ‘can do’ approach.
- Excellent, lively written English for promotional copy and social media
- Tech savvy – easy familiarity with software such as Excel and general unflappability when it comes to using computers and new programmes
- Attention to detail
- Available to work in London and High Wycombe
Application / Deadline:
Apply to our publisher Stefan Tobler email@example.com by the end of Tuesday 10th March 2015, attaching a CV and covering letter file to your email. Unless you have a question, we will reply after 10th March.