Individuals’ subscriptions are a vital part of the way we fund our future publishing program. Our subscribers make our books happen: without them, we could not take so many publishing risks or afford to translate as many books as we do.
Each subscription is in advance, to help fund our pre-production costs for the books you subscribe to, including paying translators well.
By Night the Mountain Burns by Juan Tomás Ávila Laurel
By Night The Mountain Burns recounts the narrator’s childhood on a remote island off the West African coast, living with his mysterious grandfather, several mothers and no fathers. We learn of a dark chapter in the island’s history: a bush fire destroys the crops, then hundreds perish in a cholera outbreak. Superstition dominates: now the islanders must sacrifice their possessions to the enraged ocean god. What of their lives will they manage to save?
Whitmanesque in its lyrical evocation of the island, Ávila Laurel’s writing builds quietly, through the oral rhythms of traditional storytelling, into gripping drama worthy of an Achebe or a García Márquez.
Why and How to Subscribe?
Subscribe here –
- you will get first edition copies before the title hits the shops
- you are thanked by name in the upcoming books you subscribe to
- hassle free: subscribe now and we can send you great books for years
- free postage and packing in the UK, EU and USA and Canada (outside these areas a subscription is more expensive, only to cover our postal costs)
- you will be warmly invited to contribute to our plans and choice of future books (see our reading group page)
- you know you are an essential part of a small publisher already achieving great things