And Other Stories is an award-winning, three-year-old publisher of literary writing based in the UK. We publish Deborah Levy’s Man Booker Prize-shortlisted novel Swimming Home and Juan Pablo Villalobos’ multiply shortlisted novel Down the Rabbit Hole, among other titles.
And Other Stories is looking for an enthusiastic and creative person to join our small team. The new UK Head of Publicity will become a key part of the team. So we want someone who reads widely and can speak with passion and pleasure about our books, who is experienced and is looking to stay with And Other Stories as we develop.
Location: London and occasionally High Wycombe (30 minutes from London)
★ Press / publicity, incl
– developing a PR strategy
– proofs mail-outs and related pitching and follow-up on titles
– maintaining contacts databases for publicity
– writing and sending out press releases
– working with editor to find best use in the media for advance extracts, shorter pieces, introductions etc
– reporting on media coverage
– contributing to Facebook and other social media activity, incl our new blog Ampersand
– seeking friends and blurbs for specific authors or books where appropriate, and building relationships for And Other Stories in general
★ Reaching communities of readers, incl:
– reaching out to subscribers, reading groups, universities, other communities of readers
- organising or assisting in events for the general public, our supporters and the press as needed, eg organising author visits (in general without accompanying author on tour)
★ General work responsibilities, incl.:
– correspondence, administrative and office tasks.
– working with team members where appropriate, eg to explore marketing opportunities
★ Several years’ experience in publicity for trade publishing
★ Ability to work well independently and with others
★ Self-motivated. Organised. Manages own time and other people well
★ Communicates with verve in person and in writing. Confident phone manner.
★ Good written English for promotional copy and social media
★ Tech savvy – easy familiarity with software such as Excel and general unflappability when it comes to using computers and new programmes
★ Pragmatic. A ‘can do’ approach. Able to find solutions.
★ Able and willing to supervise and train interns and assistants in order to receive help in PR and publicity tasks, especially the more admin. and day-to-day tasks
★ Available to work in London incl. occasional evenings
Send your CV and covering letters (as attached Word documents) and salary requirements to Stefan Tobler at firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘UK Publicity’ in the subject line by Wednesday 17th July 2013 at the latest, but please note we encourage early applications and will start interviewing before this date.
– Workload equivalent to roughly two days per week, initially.
– To start – soon!