And Other Stories is an award-winning two-year-old publisher of literary writing based in the UK. We are now establishing a North American presence, largely in response to increasing interest in our titles in North America. We published Deborah Levy’s 2012 Man Booker Prize shortlisted Swimming Home (since bought by Bloomsbury USA) among other titles. We have a particularly strong list of Latin American titles, as our publisher Stefan Tobler is a translator from Portuguese (and German) while our editor Sophie Lewis works from Rio de Janeiro.
From September 2013 our new titles will be represented and distributed in North America by Consortium. We are recruiting a North American Director of Publicity to set up a home office for us in New York. The publicist will become a key part of the team. We want someone who reads widely and can speak with passion and pleasure about our books, and who is looking to stay with And Other Stories as we develop. And Other Stories has good experience of co-ordinating remote work, as our staff live in various locations. We offer an induction of two to three weeks in our main UK office at the start of the job (probably in April), so that the new person can work with the other team members and feel grounded in the role and connected to the team when back in New York. The publisher will also be in New York on occasion for face-to-face meetings.
★ Press / publicity,incl:
- developing a PR strategy
- galleys mail-outs and related pitching and follow-up on titles
- maintaining contacts databases for publicity
- writing and sending out press releases
- working with editor to find best use in the media for advance extracts, shorter pieces, introductions etc
- reporting on media coverage
- contributing to Facebook and other social media activity, incl our new blog Ampersand
- seeking friends and blurbs for specific authors or books where appropriate, and building relationships for And Other Stories in general
★ Reaching communities of readers, incl:
- work with reading groups, universities, other communities of readers
- organize or assist in events for the general public, our supporters and the press as needed, eg organising author visits (in general without accompanying author on tour)
★ General work responsibilities, incl.:
- correspondence, administrative and office tasks.
- work with team members where appropriate, eg to explore marketing opportunities and maximise sales in North America
★ Several years’ experience in publicity for trade publishing in North America
★ Ability to work well independently – and with others
★ Self-motivated. Organised. Manages own time and other people well
★ Communicates with verve in person and in writing. Confident phone manner.
★ Good written English for promotional copy and social media
★ Tech savvy – easy familiarity with software such as Excel and general unflappability when it comes to using computers and new programmes
★ Pragmatic. A ‘can do’ approach. Able to find solutions.
★ Able to supervise and train interns as and when necessary
Send your CV and salary requirements to Stefan Tobler at email@example.com with ‘North American Publicity’ in the subject line by Friday 15th February 2013.