Last week saw the publication of our seventh book, Zbinden’s Progress by Christoph Simon, beautifully translated by Donal McLaughlin. It was described by Barbara Trapido as ‘A jewel of a novel … This book is a little Odyssey, a little Ulysses; the story of one day’s journey, skilfully playing in tandem with another, life-long journey.’
Inspired by Simon’s heart-warming and hilarious book, we are launching a 500-word short story competition.
We are looking for the best piece of short fiction around the theme of walking. Your submission can be set anywhere, in the present, past or future, as long as it covers the concept of walking.
All stories will be read and judged by a panel of judges from And Other Stories’ editorial team.
The winner will receive a one year (four book) subscription to And Other Stories (or can give a friend a gift subscription) and their story will be published on our website along with stories by the runners-up.
The winner and runners-up will be announced in our October newsletter, ahead of publication on the website. Make sure you join our mailing list now. Updates will also be announced on Facebook and Twitter.
Entries must be no longer than 500 words, and must be emailed to email@example.com as a double-spaced word document by 5.30pm, September 9th 2012. Please put only the word “Competition” in the subject line of the e-mail.
Please read the following terms and conditions:
HOW TO ENTER
1. This Short Story competition is open to writers all over the world.
2. There is no charge to enter the competitions. All entries are free.
3. The competition is to write the best piece of fiction, up to 500 words long, on the theme of walking.
4. Each entrant to the Competition must submit their name and contact details along with their Walking Story of no longer than 500 words in a double-spaced text (eg Word) document to firstname.lastname@example.org with only the word “Competition” in the subject line. Each entrant will be signed up to receive (normally monthly) email updates on And Other Stories (this can be cancelled at any time).
5. Only one story may be submitted per entrant.
6. Only stories written in English will be accepted.
7. Entrants must be submitted up to the closing date at 5.30pm, 9th September 2012.
8. By submitting an Entry, Entrants confirm that all information provided is true and accurate to the best of their knowledge and belief and that the Entrant has the right to submit the Entry.
9. If any Entrant is determined by And Other Stories to have breached these Terms they will be disqualified and another Winner will be selected.
10. And Other Stories accepts no responsibility for lost, damaged, incomplete or delayed entries. Proof of entry is not proof of receipt.